Welcome to the Wordlady blog!

This blog is about the fascinating, fun, and challenging things about the English language. I hope to entertain you and to help you with problems or just questions you might have with spelling and usage. I go beyond just stating what is right and what is wrong, and provide some history or some tips to help you remember. Is something puzzling you? Feel free to email me at wordlady.barber@gmail.com.
You can also order my best-selling books, Six Words You Never Knew Had Something to do With Pigs and Only in Canada You Say. Fun and informative!

Subscribe!

Subscribe! Fun facts about English delivered weekly right to your inbox. IT'S FREE! Fill in your email address below.
Privacy policy: we will not sell, rent, or give your name or address to anyone. You can unsubscribe at any point.

Search This Blog

Sunday, March 29, 2020

(Not) Written in the stars

"Nothing to do with us!"
Photo by NASA on Unsplash
I do not for a moment believe in astrology, but our ancestors did, so it is not surprising that the "aster" in "disaster" is derived from the Greek word astron meaning "star". Disasters were literally events thought to be caused by our stars being misaligned.

You might think that it is the same astron showing up in catastrophe.

But no. Catastrophe has nothing to do with stars, not even etymologically.

Catastrophe comes from Latin catastropha, from Greek katastrophē ‘overturning, sudden turn’, from kata- ‘down’ + strophē ‘turning’ (from strephein ‘to turn’).

It was originally (in the 1500s) a theatrical term, designating the final resolution or dénouement of the plot in a play. In a tragedy, this usually involved the death (or "overturning") of the protagonist. It was possible, though, to have happy or comical catastrophes. But because there were many tragedies, the association with an unhappy ending soon took over, so that catastrophe soon came to mean "a disastrous or unhappy conclusion". By the end of the 1700s it acquired its current meaning "a disastrous, usually widespread, event."

A question:  While we are all confined to quarters, how frequently would you like Wordlady updates? Daily (not sure that I could keep that up, to be honest)? Twice a week? Once a week? Please let me know. I want to keep you entertained but I don't want to overwhelm you.




16 comments:

  1. Once or twice per week would be very generous if you are able - with great thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're up to sending them once a day, I'd be delighted to read them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find your Worldlady updates very informative and entertaining.
    Twice a week would be much appreciated during the Covid-19 disaster.
    Thank you very much and stay healthy (and funny)
    Hetty Bolhuis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,

    As far as I'm concerned, as often as possible (Covid or no Covid).

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your posts, Katherine. So interesting and entertaining. Just what we need right now! Twice a week would be great if you can manage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am enjoying the more frequent emails.
    Something to look forward to in my inbox. Twice a week would be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How often? However often you can do them. They're great on any schedule :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Katherine. I agree that twice a week postings would be welcome additions to my inbox.

    ReplyDelete
  9. For my part, I will welcome your postings whenever they arrive in my inbox. I find them always entertaining and informative.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Always love seeing Wordlady in the inbox, so whenever inspiration strikes is wonderful... twice a week is good too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with the rest of them. I could manage several each day, but if I have to make do with a couple a week then that's fine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As often as you want. Luckily, I get to read more now, and your emails are always brilliant.
    Twice a week is not too much. Even every day or every other day.
    Merci beaucoup

    ReplyDelete
  13. Once or twice a week would be wonderful if you can manage it.

    Keep well and thank you

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Canada's Word Lady, Katherine Barber is an expert on the English language and a frequent guest on radio and television. She was Editor-in-Chief of the Canadian Oxford Dictionary. Her witty and informative talks on the stories behind our words are very popular. Contact her at wordlady.barber@gmail.com to book her for speaking engagements; she can tailor her talks to almost any subject. She is also available as an expert witness for lawsuits.